Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Ice Cream is Serious Business in Germany


It's just after lunch which I enjoyed with colleagues at the private mensa near Pontstrasse. I am now back in my office and have been invited twice for ice cream. Here in Germany, and in my opinion, more so than in Italy or France, ice cream is really serious business.

Most ice cream shops are called Eis Cafes in German and are typically owned and operated by Italians who are the second largest immigrant population here after Turks.

The varieties of ice cream you can get beyond the typical one or two scoops on a cone are generally meal-sized and decadent with supplemental fruits, warmed, sauces, cream and fudges to choose from.

The classical spaghetti Eis, first introduced to me by an old friend, is now one of my favorites and looks like a heaping dish of pasta (vanilla ice cream) with tomato sauce (strawberry sauce) and parmesan (shredded white chocolate and nuts)!

No comments:

Post a Comment